Recreational Board Minutes 4/17/19
Start time: 7:40 pm
Members: Sam Watt, Tim Longnecker, Howard Rush, Judy Simpson, Talia Preissman, Ron Bradly
Park Director Report: Laurie Montgomery
- Easter Event is Saturday April 20th 12 pm -2pm, Weather is not looking good so may be moved.
- 7 7th Graders and 12 high school volunteers are helping stuff 13-14,000 eggs
- There will be face painting, magic show, and bounce house
Public Works: Not Available
Council Liaison: June Byrnes
- June asked Darren to fill in council report. Darren Matik stated that the baseball building is still under construction, but moving along fairly quickly. Once completed they will move onto the soccer building.
- The Dug out area will be removed soon
Treasurers Report: Nothing to report. Will check mail
Approval of March Minutes: Ron 1st Talia 2nd
Open Public Session: Maureen Duffy came to represent “Friends of Seaview Sanctuary Park” a group of individuals who do not support a skate park at SJI Park. She stated that one of her members received an email that the city council received a recommendation from the Recreational Board for the skate park.
Darren Matik and June Byrnes said that it is not on the agenda for the next meeting and the information was false .
Maureen wanted to kindly remind the recreational board that there are other options for the SJI location.
Darren Matik stated , “ Green Acres Funding paid for that location and that several public hearings would have to happen in order for anything to be approved for that area. “
Sam Watt asked, “What specific activities will that okay for that area.
Maureen Duffy responded, “There can be bird watching activities, star gazing and mostly informational activities. They want to keep it eco- friendly and focus on educational activities for all ages to enjoy.
- Football Field Repairs: John Franchini gave $1000 check. They are hopeful to have the final $1000 at the next meeting.
- Family Movie Night: waiting on dates from Dan Miller for Soccer
- Memorial Park Changes: Sam Watt noted that the he feels the park grounds have looked the best they have ever seen in previous years. He suggested they can work on field aeration.
Vinyl Fence will go up at parking lot. City is speaking to George Butrus about planting trees in old playground area and putting flower boxes on sides on hockey rink.
Easter Event: ( help from board members) : Laurie requested for members to come and help out 12-2:30pm
Citizen of the year: Due 5/1/19 3 letters received for Citizen of the year
Scholarship applications/8th Grade: due 5/1/19 there are currently 8 applicants
Shirley Mae Run: The event is Mother’s Day weekend. They wanted to put up a banner on the fence where football has their sponsorship banners. ( * has to be approved by city council ) This banner will be
Thank you to public works for above and beyond help: Public works installed shelves in football shed, fixed the garage so it locks. They have 2 sheds in place. They installed a gate door so baseball can roll coach pitch machine. Tony installed at Poplar Ave field at the flag pole.
Laurie Montgomery news:
Alex Marino sent a link for youth coach safety clinic.
Baseball had a food truck and it needs all permits next time. They need to get a mercantile license or permit for the day. Needs fire Inspection and board of health Cert.
Laurie had an idea to have other students nominate another student as to why they are deserving for a scholarship.
Motion to end meeting: 8:43 pm Talia 1st Judy 2nd
Last modified: November 20, 2019